We brought the land on a bit of a whim in 2005, when home from Australia, visiting family in Taupo. It was just farm paddocks with a few large stands of mature trees.
We were attracted to the long drive in (approx 600meters) which was a section of a bush railway line for the Taupo Tokoroa Timber Company built in 1903 to haul logs out of what was the biggest lowland totara forest in the North Island. After milling, the land was converted into farmland, and our block was part of a large sheep Station.
From 2007 we started planting natives and exotic trees and developing gardens (still very much a work in progress). In 2009 we built The Lodge and would travel from Wellington every second weekend to work on the property. In 2017, we moved here permanently and lived in The Lodge while we planned and built our house and since October 2019 we have been delighted to welcome guests to enjoy our special getaway. Our home is situated approximately 25 meters from The Lodge, and has been designed to provide our guests and ourselves privacy.
Click on the links below to enter
© The Lodge At Hare's Rest - 2020